blocking access to website?
stewilliamson2
2008-02-26 15:08:03 UTC
Hi all, I've searched this group and found a few posts about people
apparently being denied access to the delicious homepage. The symptoms
are pretty much the same as we're getting - HTTP code 10064 connection
refused. I've tried bypassing the proxy and also changing our external
hide address to a different IP (but still within our registered range).

I've seen replies from Toby Elliott and I'm keen to get in touch with
him so I'm hoping he sees this message. I've sent numerous emails
through the delicious contact page but they go unanswered.

Just to pre-empt any questions, we're IT support for Cumbria County
Council and our IP range is 217.114.50.128/26. We're currently hitting
the homepage from the IP 217.114.50.150. Our ISP is CLEO (Based in the
North West of England).

REALLY scratching my head on this one. We can access the site OK from
an alternative ISP. All help/advice greatly received.

Cheers
Steve
Toby Elliott
2008-02-26 20:13:48 UTC
We're scratching our heads on this one too. It only seems to affect
certain IPs in the UK and our network people swear it isn't a problem
at this end. Most likely explanation is some sort of bad routing, but
we're as much in the dark as you are about this one.

There's nothing on our end that would refuse connection - if you were
being blocked, you'd see a totally different message.

Can you access the secure boxes? https://secure.del.icio.us/settings/
<username>/index

Regards,
Toby Elliott
Kenn Melvin
2008-02-27 08:13:27 UTC
FWIW, I get this regularly...

Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999.

The rest of the message hints that it may be traffic from other users
on my ISP (uk/bt) - or virus (no indication of that watching ethernet
traffic) and not using open wireless network.

If it's any use...

- It seems to happen most often in the morning...
- Seems correlated with Firefox fetching the RSS popular feed in the
background (e.g. when switching on in the morning)
- Only happens when clicking on the "saved by x other people" links,
i.e. I can still post, look at and update my own bookmarks, just not
the social aspects of who else is interested in the same things
- I've tried being less 'aggressive' with my use, moving all my feeds
(bar the popular one) to google-reader, exploring much less than i
used to, but sometimes even looking at it seems enough to get the message
- If I use a proxy (e.g. at work) I can 'exercise' the system
thoroughly (clicking on every link possible as fast as possible, just
to see) and not get temporarily blocked, so it's kind of confusing
that a single pull of the rss feed should be enough to get blocked at
home (and only on the social side of the system, the "saved-by" links)

It's no showstopper, but losing the social aspects of social
bookmarking is a bit of a bummer ;)

...k
Toby Elliott
2008-02-27 21:53:20 UTC
This is a more standard response, and occurs when someone is abusing
the system. It likely means your ISP is proxying traffic and someone
else is hammering us. You should let your isp know so that they can
look into it.

This is why your work one is fine - it's in a separate ip space.

Regards,
Toby
Kenn Melvin
Toby
supaevilai
2008-05-13 00:58:20 UTC
yes, i'm having this exact same issue. Works through though work
(although there are intermitted failures) but fails coming from home.

I'm with Be broadband. any ideas how my isp's are affected?

I'll raise it with them to find out if they are actually proxying
Philip King
2008-06-01 18:32:41 UTC
I'm been having this problem for weeks. I've checked with my ISP and
they're not blocking anything. It does work for me once in a while but
mostly I just get an error message. My ISP couldn't reach the site
either when they tried. It's the only site I have this problem with.

-= Philip
Philip King
2008-06-02 11:22:55 UTC
Further to this, the message I get in the browser is:

"Safari can't open the page "http://del.icio.us/" because the server
unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the
server is busy. You might be able to open the page later."

So I tried traceroute and after about 24 hops to a yahoo server it
just spins its wheels, with lots of * * * of silent gateways.

It's also not working from my work domain, so I'll do a traceroute
from there and see if there's any clues from that.

It is a real disappointment not to have the sort of regular access to
del.icio.us which I was used to.

-= Philip
Joshua Schachter
2008-06-02 18:02:43 UTC
Can you send me a traceroute? A tcpdump or packet sniff from wireshark
would be even better.

We've had an intermittent problem with some british ISPs blocking
delicious.

Joshua

Warren
2008-06-03 17:46:11 UTC
i didn't actually get around to following this up with my ISP as I seem to
be getting it intermittently everywhere I go these days. So far, that
includes London, Reading, Bath and Southampton.

are you guys any closer to figuring this out yet?
http://thehumansare.com/ing

stewilliamson2
2008-02-27 13:45:44 UTC
Hi Toby, thanks for replying so quickly.

I've tried accessing the secure sections but that still comes back
with an immediate refusal, just like the main page.

Weird! If you want, I can change our hide IP address to anything
between 217.114.50.130 and .152 if this would help at all?

Cheers
Steve
Toby Elliott
2008-02-27 21:56:00 UTC
If changing the IP address works for you, then that would be great,
but I fear it's an ISP level problem and a bad cache somewhere. We're
certainly not blocking by IP range.

Toby
Post by Toby Elliott
being blocked, you'd see a totally different message.
Can you access the secure boxes? https://secure.del.icio.us/
settings/
Post by Toby Elliott
<username>/index