Communication on Del.icio.us
Stephen Robinson
2008-06-09 18:08:48 UTC
There are things I wish to say to my network on Del.icio.us. Ask
questions, get answers, or even casual conversation. I have people in
my network that I know nothing about, other than the links they share.
It's not uncommon among social bookmarking sites today, to be able to
communicate with your network of friends. Please add this feature to
Del.icio.us.

Thank You
Stephen

Britta Gustafson
2008-06-11 06:57:07 UTC
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the suggestion! Del.icio.us is focused on bookmarks, so it
wouldn't make sense to turn it into a full-on social networking system,
but we do have some small changes in the works to help make
communication between users easier. (Even something as small as
encouraging people to fill out the "profile" section of settings, which
places a link to a homepage or email address on the top of their
bookmarks page.)

Britta
Del.icio.us community manager intern
Ismael Valladolid Torres
2008-06-11 07:36:34 UTC
Post by Britta Gustafson
Thanks for the suggestion! Del.icio.us is focused on bookmarks, so it
wouldn't make sense to turn it into a full-on social networking system,
But as far as it's focused on bookmarks, for me it's far more useful
as a social tool than many others out there.
Neil Cox
2008-06-11 12:09:14 UTC
Realistically, when will we see these new enhancements?

Last fall they said 'next week'. And I've faithfully stayed with
del.icio.us, now compiling over 5,000 bookmarks and 200 networked
associates.... looking forward to dramatically-improved speed and 'Network
Search' (especially). But del.icio.us is losing ground against your
competitors, and we're not sure how much longer we can wait.

Advise. Thanks.
Neil
Stephen Robinson
2008-06-15 06:57:24 UTC
Post by Britta Gustafson
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the suggestion! Del.icio.us is focused on bookmarks, so it
wouldn't make sense to turn it into a full-on social networking system,
but we do have some small changes in the works to help make
communication between users easier. (Even something as small as
encouraging people to fill out the "profile" section of settings, which
places a link to a homepage or email address on the top of their
bookmarks page.)
Britta
Del.icio.us community manager intern
wrote:
I'm not suggesting a full-on anything. Just some free-will
communication that separates us from machines, and shows human
characteristics from our network of friends. Even if it's the ability
to comment on a bookmark.

At the very least, I would like the bookmarks to open in a new tab. I
don't always remember to use the middle mouse button. At the very
most, I would like to be notified by email, when people in my network
add new bookmarks, and what those bookmarks are. How else will we
know when someone in are network has updated their bookmarks?

Thank you
Stephen
John Remmers
2008-06-16 12:08:35 UTC
Post by Britta Gustafson
places a link to a homepage or email address on the top of their
bookmarks page.)
Britta
Del.icio.us community manager intern
I'm not suggesting a full-on anything. Just some free-will
communication that separates us from machines, and shows human
characteristics from our network of friends. Even if it's the ability
to comment on a bookmark.
At the very least, I would like the bookmarks to open in a new tab. I
don't always remember to use the middle mouse button. At the very
most, I would like to be notified by email, when people in my network
add new bookmarks, and what those bookmarks are. How else will we
know when someone in are network has updated their bookmarks?
Delicious provides RSS feeds for users, tags, and networks. That's a
simple way to receive notices of updates. See http://del.icio.us/help/rss
.

-John
Henrik Nyh
2008-06-15 19:54:00 UTC
Post by Stephen Robinson
At the very least, I would like the bookmarks to open in a new tab. I
don't always remember to use the middle mouse button.
Many people consider it rude for sites to open links in new tabs by
default, preferring instead to use the middle button or similar.

You could get this with a userscript
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasemonkey), though. Request it at
http://userscripts.org/forums if there isn't a script like that on
that site already.
Post by Stephen Robinson
At the very
most, I would like to be notified by email, when people in my network
add new bookmarks, and what those bookmarks are. How else will we
know when someone in are network has updated their bookmarks?
You can do this via RSS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS):
http://del.icio.us/help/rss

There are even tools to turn that into e-mails:
http://www.google.com/search?q="rss+to+email"