Feedback on Visualization tool DeliVis
jkofmsk
2007-09-11 15:40:12 UTC
Hi to you all,

As this group is for users of del.icio.us as a general place for
discussions and general ideas about the site, i would be very
interested in any feedback you may have on this visualization tool
DeliVis (any suggestions on a good name? :) ) that i created to
explore social bookmarks in playful manner.

The rationale behind this work is that users tag the bookmarks to
describe them but the problem with tags is that they generally produce
a flat namespace, rather than the hierarchical structures that
taxonomies or other formal classification systems provide. However,
there can be rich implicit structures between tags, bookmarks and
users. DeliVis attempts to visualize these structures, so that end
users can explore the social bookmarks in a playful, efficient and
flexible way.

More information on this tool can be found at
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~hmdb/infovis/delicious/

I also wrote a bit on it at my blog
(http://ariadne.cs.kuleuven.be/wordpress/jklerkx/?p=52)

Kind Regards,
Joris Klerkx
Britta Gustafson
2007-09-12 03:40:47 UTC
Yay, visualizations! I wasn't sure what this application did until I played around with it for
a while, but I figured out it could show me what different people had bookmarked in
common, which was neat - I found a couple things I didn't expect in common from people
I knew. I wasn't sure what the criteria was for showing up on the left side list,
though...were they just the people who have tried this out, or people from my network, or
something else?

Some of the screenshots hinted that you can use your application to explore the tags that
people have in common, but I don't think that worked for me - the tags thingy on the left
seemed empty.

Have you seen http://www.twoantennas.com/projects/delicious-network-explorer/ ? It's
another nodes-and-branches type of visualization, but it focuses on network relationships
between people instead of bookmark/tag relationships. Might be interesting to you.

Britta
Joris Klerkx
jkofmsk
2007-09-12 07:05:49 UTC
Hi Britta,
Post by Britta Gustafson
a while, but I figured out it could show me what different people had bookmarked in
common, which was neat - I found a couple things I didn't expect in common from people
I knew. I wasn't sure what the criteria was for showing up on the left side list,
though...were they just the people who have tried this out, or people from my network, or
something else?
The program starts with a default del.icio.us username (for now in the
settings of the program) and then it:
1) loads the tags and bookmarks of this user
2) loads the tags and bookmarks of the users in the network of this user
3) loads the tags and bookmarks of the users that are a fan of this user

You can always add a new user with all this data by using the menu or by
clicking on a user in the visualization.
Post by Britta Gustafson
Some of the screenshots hinted that you can use your application to explore the tags that
people have in common, but I don't think that worked for me - the tags thingy on the left
seemed empty.
Well I noticed that the number off 'Tags' in the tree structure is
always zero but you can always click the tree open and see the tags that
describe the bookmarks. You can also sort them (right click), use the
treefilter above the tree, etc.. I created a screenshot of the data of
the username 'Britta' (not sure if it's you :) ) and played around with
it:
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~hmdb/infovis/delicious/screenshotBritta2.j\
pg
Here you can see the tags.
Post by Britta Gustafson
another nodes-and-branches type of visualization, but it focuses on network relationships
between people instead of bookmark/tag relationships. Might be
interesting to you.

jep!

Many thanks for your feedback!

Joris
Post by Britta Gustafson
Britta
Joris Klerkx
Noah Sussman
2007-09-29 12:38:21 UTC
Post by jkofmsk
The program starts with a default del.icio.us username (for now in the
1) loads the tags and bookmarks of this user
2) loads the tags and bookmarks of the users in the network of this user
3) loads the tags and bookmarks of the users that are a fan of this user
You can always add a new user with all this data by using the menu or by
clicking on a user in the visualization.
Thanks for adding more detail about how to use the applet. It helped
me to appreciate what you've done! You might think about adding this
to your blog entry as well.

I'm a big fan of network explorer, but your viz is prettier :) and
provides a lot more detail (although of course I'm exploring a
different data set). I appreciate the way that links users have in
common show up in the right column, without the need to open a new
window and view the delicious site. I was jazzed the first time I
clicked on the intersection of two users' bookmarks, and immediately
saw the text of those bookmarks in the right column!

It's also very interesting to explore both relationships with users,
and relationships with tags, on the same plane; seeing not only who
shares bookmarks, but also who uses the same tags.

One thing I'm wondering about is the time frame for which you load
bookmarks. It seems that a maximum of 100 bookmarks is loaded, but
some users have less, so it must be "last 100 bookmarks in the last x
days?"

Anyway, thanks for posting, I am having a lot of fun using this!
--
Noah Sussman
Noah_|_OneMoreBug.com

"the lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne" --Chaucer
nothingnormal.xanga
2007-09-12 06:00:39 UTC
The delicious network explorer seems to crash when you get to
del.icio.us members with more than x,xxx bookmarks.

Not sure if they have looked into it.
Post by Britta Gustafson
another nodes-and-branches type of visualization, but it focuses on network relationships
between people instead of bookmark/tag relationships. Might be
interesting to you.
Post by Britta Gustafson
Britta
Joris Klerkx
jkofmsk
2008-06-10 14:01:02 UTC
Hi to you all,

Like everyone knows in this group, del.icio.us is very popular :)
We think that seeing implicit structures between tags, users and
bookmarks is essential for users to discover new bookmarks that could be
of interest to them. Sometime ago, we customised a cluster map
visualisation technique to enable users to explore social bookmarks in
the del.icio.us. The design of our visualisation aims to automatically
identify tag and community structures, and visualises these structures
in order to increase the users awareness of them. We now upgraded it and
would appreciate your help with our research.

The visualisation application can be tested for yourself. If you are
interested in this,
please try this for yourself by going to this webpage
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/%7Ehmdb/infovis/delicious/del.icou.us%20vi\
sualization.html>

Feedback is very much appreciated and can be sent to us by filling out
the following survey
<http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=tz84m7tp6v7tb75450537\
or by mailing us.

Thanks-in-advance!