Unauthorized-API request: details for _all_ user's links, tag desc, single link
malesca
2008-02-20 10:53:13 UTC
I'm working on a pretty cool remix of del.icio.us content (will
mention on this list when I release it).

Part of the idea behind my site is that you don't need to authorize.
You can view the remixed links of someone who never heard of the site
without anyone ever having to give me their password.

However, the API available without authorization is a bit limited for
my purposes, forcing me to scrape some things: this is slow, means
unnecessary load on del.icio.us, and complicates my code (especially
caching/expiry).

Here's some things that would really be helpful. Does any of them
exist, but I missed them? Could any be added?

1. Returning _all_ a user's links (with a specific tag). So like
http://del.icio.us/help/json/posts but not limited to 100 items.

2. I'm displaying the user's tag description (if any) for a given tag.
The only way to get that and keep it up-to-date that I've found is to
actually scrape that web page. The web pages don't even send an
etag/Last-Modified header, so the only way to check if it's been
updated is to re-scrape. A way to get a tag description from the
unauthorized-API would be really nice.

3. Not really important to me if I get #1, but perhaps good for
del.icio.us bandwidth etc: like #1 but a delta. So it would contain a
list of new and edited items since some specified time, and also a
list of the ids of removed items. With this, I could cache items
locally and then only fetch changes instead of re-fetching all items.

4. Not as important if I get #3: fetching info for a single link for a
specific user. So if user "foo" has a link with hash "f00b4r", I want
to be able to get that link only, and/or get its Last-Modified so I
know if it's been changed.