Greetings
Troy Bull
2008-07-15 13:53:42 UTC
Greetings everyone,

I am new to this list and delicious. I have several web sites that
require a password and username. Sometimes I have a hard time
remembering these. Is there anyway to record them along with the url
and have them stay private? If I put them in notes can others see
them? If I click do not share does that make them private?

What do other people do?

Thanks in advance

troy
Brett O'Connor
2008-07-15 17:04:03 UTC
Others can definitely see your notes. If you mark it as private,
though, no one will see the bookmark or notes.

You could conceivably make your username and password a part of the
URL like this:

http://username:***@website.com

However, that will only work for certain types of login systems.

That said - what if you leave del.icio.us logged in on a public terminal?

In addition, when you're browsing your bookmarks, all information is
sent "in the clear" - not over an SSL connection. Meaning your
passwords could be intercepted.

I personally wouldn't advise anyone to store passwords with their
del.icio.us bookmarks.

Hope that helps,

Brett
troy
Britta Gustafson
2008-07-15 18:45:27 UTC
This is a good question, and thanks to Brett for an answer that's pretty
much what I would have said if I'd gotten there first. :)

I'd also add that somebody looking over your shoulder at your screen
could see your "not shared" bookmark notes, which might be an issue if
you use Delicious in a public setting such as a cafe, even if you use
your own laptop.

On the other hand, it might be a good compromise for you to save private
bookmarks with a cryptic hint in the notes as to what those passwords
are -- good enough to remind yourself but non-obvious to anybody else
who saw them. You just have to weigh the risk and convenience.

Britta
Delicious community manager intern
troy
Fredrik Matheson
2008-07-15 20:27:25 UTC
If you're using a Mac I'd recommend 1Password to manage your usernames and
passwords, rather than delicious.
http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password/

There's also a web service that allows you to access your passwords from any
computer, and sign in with these.

https://my.1password.com/

- Fredrik

Matthew Weymar
2008-07-15 21:04:53 UTC
[This is OT - for which I apologize - but...]

They should randomize and change passwords for you automatically.

This would be helpful, security-wise, and make the app. quite sticky I would
think.

Do they?...

Does any other such service?...

Thanks,
Matthew

Henrik Nyh
2008-07-15 21:22:41 UTC
There is also my autologin Greasemonkey script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/1595

You can store bookmarks that include username and password in the URL.
You'll definitely want to make those non-shared, if you store them at
delicious at all.

Nathanael Woodbridge
2008-07-16 10:17:26 UTC
I would not store your passwords with your Delicious account, if
anyone could access your computer (and you were logged in) they could
easly access your passwords.

I would use a password manager. If you are looking for something you
can access from anywhere I would recommend PassPack -
http://www.passpack.com/ Your data is all sent over a secure
connection. There are also other offline services.
Post by Henrik Nyh
Stephane Bortzmeyer
2008-07-25 14:16:57 UTC
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:04:03AM -0600,
Post by Brett O'Connor
You could conceivably make your username and password a part of the
Do note this syntax has been deprecated by RFC 3986, in january 2005,
and should not work any longer.

RFC 3986, section 3.2.1 :

Use of the format "user:password" in the userinfo field is
deprecated. Applications should not render as clear text any data
after the first colon (":") character found within a userinfo
subcomponent unless the data after the colon is the empty string
(indicating no password). Applications may choose to ignore or
reject such data when it is received as part of a reference and
should reject the storage of such data in unencrypted form. The
passing of authentication information in clear text has proven to be
a security risk in almost every case where it has been used.

g@briel
2008-07-16 06:58:12 UTC
Del.icio.is is not a system for storing passwords... Take a look at this:
http://keepass.info/ or keepassx if you're on a mac.

There are also plenty of firefox extensions that will manage your passwords
for you if the default password manager does not meet your needs.