Have I been blacklisted?
jkwhinfrey
2007-11-20 17:22:09 UTC
For about the last week I've been getting the following error message
from my home address.

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://del.icio.us/

The following error was encountered:

* Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being
allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel
this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is root.
Generated Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:16:55 GMT by localhost (squid/2.6.STABLE6)

I read in another post that this might be the Delicious team blocking
my IP address as a crawler. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the
message or headers to indicate where it originated.

Does anyone have alternative explanations and if not any suggestion on
what to do about it. I'm not a crawler, but I can't access any of the
support pages to explain this.
Toby Elliott
2007-11-20 18:21:26 UTC
Hard to tell what's going on if you're going through a squid proxy.
If you were being blocked directly by us, you'd see a different error
message than this one.

Is this the message you are getting in your browser? Also, what is
your ip address?

Regards,
Toby Elliott
del.icio.us
jkwhinfrey
2007-11-21 11:31:28 UTC
Thanks for the response Toby,

This is the message I get on any browser, from any of three machines
accessing the Internet via a Router. I've tried swapping Broadband
routers with the same result.

Given this happens with either of two routers and on several machines
, I don't think the problem is at my end of the ADSL connection.

Could it be a proxy at my ISP that's blocking the site? I have a
dynamic IP, but it has remained static over several reconnections.
I'll send the actual IP to you directly.

Thanks for your help,

James
Toby Elliott
2007-11-21 18:26:27 UTC
Thanks for the further information, and the IP address. I can confirm
that we don't seem to be blocking the IP at our end, which would,
along with the Squid error, suggest that your ISP is doing some sort
of proxying. Unfortunately, there's not a ton we can do at our end
about this if someone else who shares your gateway IP is trying to
crawl the site. I would encourage you to pass this information along
to your ISP and see if they can do anything about it.

Regards,
Toby Elliott
del.icio.us
jkwhinfrey