"del.icio.us/tag/" vs. "del.icio.us/search/"
f4r41
2007-09-06 15:53:02 UTC
Hi to all! :handshake:

compliments for this forum, it's very interesting :clap:

i'm a del.icio.us user and i've seen that there are problems with TAG
SEARCH.

i've noticed that if i visit this page:
"http://del.icio.us/tag/soccerplayer", there is a link called "David Beckham
- Wikipedia".

while, if i use search tool with "soccerplayer"
(http://del.icio.us/search/?fr=del_icio_us&p=soccerplayer&type=all) there is
not the same result.

can you explain me why? :confused:
Rocco Caputo
2007-09-06 18:48:29 UTC
Hi, seƱor f4r41!

A query for http://del.icio.us/tag/soccerplayer is not the same as a
search for "soccerplayer". The first query only looks at tags, while
the search engine also looks is page descriptions, user notes, and
some other things.

If you use the tag: prefix (as in tag:soccerplayer), that will limit
the search engine to looking at just tags. This is closer to a /tag/
soccerplayer query.

The "David Beckham" link still doesn't show up. I'm blaming our
search engine, which is pre-Yahoo! and old and tired. It can take a
day or more to index new sites, and that wikipedia bookmark is only 7
hours old. (Just FYI: We're working tirelessly to replace that
search engine with something much, much better. It hasn't been easy,
but we will persevere!)

I've also noticed a few sites in /tag/soccerplayer that don't appear
in a tag:soccerplayer search. I don't know why that is yet, but I
plan to investigate the problem. Thanks for pointing it out!