feature request: suggested alternates for when a tag is not found
sheila miguez
2007-05-17 14:48:43 UTC
Not sure how noisy this would be, but when attempting to navigate to a
tag that does not exist in one's account, it might be nice to show
possible alternatives similar to the look of the "related tags"
section.
sheila
Joshua Schachter
2007-05-18 00:32:42 UTC
This is a good idea.

Question: By what mechanisms can you end up on a nonexistant tag page?
What can we do to make that happen less?

Joshua
2007-05-18 16:08:10 UTC
First, I'm not sure how rare this is, so you should collect some metrics to
see how often it occurs.

I typically navigate to my tags by using the url or typing in the tag entry
box rather than browsing from the tag cloud. A miss happens to me when I
can't remember the tag I used (e.g. plural vs. singular, gerund vs. noun,
&c.) or I commit a typo.

The new firefox extension has improved some of this, but I've only recently
started using it. And, it doesn't help the case when I'm in someone else's
environment telling them to go to my account to see this url I saved. for:
doesn't always fit into the flow here -- I might be talking to someone at
their desk and something comes up that reminds me of a link they should see.
I don't want to go back to my desk to find my link and do for: on it.
tedious. Or log in to my account on their computer. or have them sign up for
an account. this is clunky. a good memory is better.

A few comments on my navigation behavior:

I like CLIs in general. So, if I have an option to type a command (and the
interface isn't too heinous) I will. For del.icio.us, for the OSs I use. I
use a shell, a launcher like quicksilver, &c more than using a start menu,
apple menu, and other browse-click type of interfaces.

I don't like browsing in a target rich environments, and I have a lot of
tags so this condition holds. Scanning a huge cloud and/or list for an item
is onerous. Not sure how to solve this, though I could think of ways --
maybe reacting to typing in the tag filed by narrowing what is displayed in
the tag cloud to provide visual feedback. This would make it easier to click
on something, and/or would jog one's memory so they could finish typing.
Cons: if the system is less responsive due to this then eh. This might be a
better feature for an offline client (I just realized that the new extension
provides some of this -- I don't like the lag time for pulling up the pane,
and I don't like having it up all the time due the space it takes up).

My tag cloud is so big because my tagging behavior leads to me creating a
lot of tags, though my behavior has changed over time. I use slightly fewer
tags now. perhaps in reaction to the above problem.