Using del.icio.us for loosely coupled teams
Tim Regan
2008-02-04 14:30:40 UTC
Hi All,

I'm just putting together some advice for a colleague on the way in
which different pieces of social software might be used in a loosely
coupled academic team he's setting up. One feature I think they'll find
useful is a project link share. Some group applications provide this
(e.g. Yahoo Groups provide a "links" section) but I'm interested in how
a group might use del.icio.us? I think one straightforward way would be
for the team to choose a tag and each member use that tag when posting
links that would be of interest to the whole team. But this is open to
pollution if other del.icio.us members start using the same tag for
other reasons of their own.
Have people tried using del.icio.us for such team based scenarios? Is
there a built in feature for this? What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Tim.
Larson, Timothy E.
2008-02-04 21:03:32 UTC
in how a group might use del.icio.us? I think one straightforward way
would be for the team to choose a tag and each member use that tag
when posting links that would be of interest to the whole team. But
this is open to pollution if other del.icio.us members start using the
same tag for other reasons of their own.
Have people tried using del.icio.us for such team based scenarios? Is
there a built in feature for this? What are your experiences?
Register a user, say MyAcademicGroup, and have everyone use
for:MyAcademicGroup as a tag. People outside the group would have
little reason to tag things to this user's attention, so it should
remain relatively spam-free. I haven't used for: tags extensively, but
this seems a natural application for them.

Tim
--
Tim Larson AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
InterCall, a division of West Corporation

Eschew obfuscation!
thefangmonster
2008-02-05 17:14:07 UTC
Post by Larson, Timothy E.
Register a user, say MyAcademicGroup, and have everyone use
for:MyAcademicGroup as a tag.
The agency Razorfish uses the 'aarf' tag. Anything tagged 'aarf' shows up in the sidebar of
their intranet. See http://tinyurl.com/ymby2j
Tim Regn
2008-02-05 07:47:45 UTC
Hi All,
how a group might use del.icio.us? [...] Have people tried using
del.icio.us for such team based scenarios? Is there a built in feature for
this? What are your experiences? <<<
Register a user, say MyAcademicGroup, and have everyone use
for:MyAcademicGroup as a tag <<<

Thanks Tim. Do the pages tagged for:SomeoneElse show up in SomeoneElse's tag
cloud automagically; or do they have to log in to approve them?

Cheers,

T'other Tim.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:ydn-delicious-***@yahoogroups.com

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Larson, Timothy E.
2008-02-05 22:01:44 UTC
Post by Tim Regn
Thanks Tim. Do the pages tagged for:SomeoneElse show up in
SomeoneElse's tag cloud automagically; or do they have to log in to
approve them?
What Britta said. :) That's a better explanation than mine.

Tim

Eschew obfuscation!
Britta Gustafson
2008-02-05 20:16:00 UTC
Hi Tim,

Links tagged "for:SomeoneElse" show up on SomeoneElse's "links for you"
page (which is not publicly visible), where SomeoneElse can click "save"
to add them to their main bookmarks. We have some more about it here:
http://del.icio.us/help/for

Like thefangmonster noted, using a community tag like Razorfish does is
a popular way for groups to collaboratively bookmark things. I haven't
heard any complaints of outsider del.icio.us members polluting community
tags, although you're right that it's possible.

One other feature that people use to create a group on del.icio.us is to
have each member register an account and also to have the leader
register an "umbrella" account. Then the leader adds the usernames of
each member to the network of the umbrella account, and that generates a
collective list of bookmarks. You can use the network's RSS feed to
syndicate it elsewhere. (More about the network feature:
http://del.icio.us/help/network .) In fact, we do this for the
del.icio.us team: http://del.icio.us/network/theteam

A built-in groups feature is high on our todo list.

Britta
Delicious community manager intern
Tim.
Otis Gospodneti&#263;
2008-02-06 02:50:02 UTC
Tim,

Groups are one functionality on Simpy (and Ma.gnolia and Diigo) where
I see people do what you are asking about. Have a look at this:
http://www.simpy.com/groups

In particular, you'll spot a group called "EDRDG 545" - it's full of
university students who are taking some kind of a
literacy/phonetics-type online course (super-loosely coupled):
http://www.simpy.com/group/3284

I think Ma.gnolia also has support for group discussions.

Anyhow, I think on del.icio.us people use for:, though I always found
that a little hacky ("tag space pollution"?).

Otis