counts on Posting History
Paul Denning
2008-03-18 21:48:41 UTC
I occasionally follow the links to the "first posted by" user in
Posting History. In theory, for bookmarks saved by 100s of people in
del.icio.us over a time span of many months, it is a good bet that
the first person to bookmark it in del.icio.us is an early adopter, a
subject matter expert, or simply more in tune with the target web
site. Sometimes the 2nd or 3rd or other early posters, not just the
1st, are also more tuned in to that link or tag than, say, the 900th
person to bookmark it 15 months later.

However, I am often disappointed when I click around on some of the
early posters that have few or no other links (with the same tag).

I'll just grab a fairly popular old bookmark as an example.

[1] http://del.icio.us/url/1d858cd47a4fdc3508ab837958307464

At the time of this writing, that link was posted 223 times on del.icio.us.

It looks like the most popular tag is "screencast".

It was first posted by
http://del.icio.us/mwagner
(but tagged it "screencasting", not "screencast").

http://del.icio.us/mwagner/screencasting
shows 8 links; not bad.

If that user had only 1 bookmark tagged "screencasting", I would
assume that the person is not as tuned into "screencasting" as
someone who has many more bookmarks tagged with "screencasting".

Since the tag "screencast" is more popular, I can look at the first
person to use that tag...
http://del.icio.us/erehwon/screencast

But that user has only 4 items tagged "screencast".

If I look at some of the other early posters that used the tag "screencast",
I find
http://del.icio.us/mhinze/screencast (29)
http://del.icio.us/mmazza/screencast (4)
http://del.icio.us/arip/screencast (4)
http://del.icio.us/clintcombs/screencast (10)

It would be nice, when looking at posting history, to show a count of
how many bookmarks each person has for a given tag.
In the list above, I had to visit each page to get the count of items.
If the posting history for [1] already had the counts calculated for
me, it would provide me with a better hint about what other users are
worth looking at.

For example, instead of
by <http://del.icio.us/mhinze>mhinze to
<http://del.icio.us/mhinze/screencast>screencast

It would be nice if the posting history showed
by <http://del.icio.us/mhinze>mhinze to
<http://del.icio.us/mhinze/screencast>screencast (29)

Has that been considered?
Any greasemonkey scripts or other ways to get that information quickly?

Paul
Matthew Weymar
Joshua Schachter
2008-03-21 16:44:33 UTC
Definitely an interesting idea.

In general we need to do more around showing "reputation" around things,
this included.

Joshua

[...]
It would be nice if the posting history showed by
<http://del.icio.us/mhinze>mhinze to
<http://del.icio.us/mhinze/screencast>screencast (29)
Has that been considered?
Any greasemonkey scripts or other ways to get that information
quickly?
Post by Paul Denning
Paul