AccessKey for "earlier" links screws up editing in Safari
Andrew Wooster
2007-06-17 02:04:17 UTC
Hi all,

I just noticed that del.icio.us now has accesskeys set for the
earlier/later links. earlier is now bound to ctrl+e, and later is now
bound to ctrl+l.

Sadly, this means that when editing text with Safari in any text box
on a page with an "earlier" link, ctrl+e will take you to the earlier
page. Ctrl+e, in the Cocoa text system on OS X, is bound similar to
emacs, in that it takes you to the end of the paragraph (or line). See:
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/Site/System%20Bindings.html

I just wanted to chip in my two cents that I'd really prefer not to
have this behavior on del.icio.us.

-Andrew
/wooster
Larson, Timothy E.
2007-06-18 15:29:18 UTC
Post by Andrew Wooster
I just noticed that del.icio.us now has accesskeys set for the
earlier/later links. earlier is now bound to ctrl+e, and later is now
bound to ctrl+l.
I see it's using rel=prev/next links as well. Very nice.
Post by Andrew Wooster
Sadly, this means that when editing text with Safari in any text box
on a page with an "earlier" link, ctrl+e will take you to the earlier
page. Ctrl+e, in the Cocoa text system on OS X, is bound similar to
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/Site/System%20Bindings.html
<http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/Site/System%20Bindings.html>
I just wanted to chip in my two cents that I'd really prefer not to
have this behavior on del.icio.us.
This is really a matter for Safari to work out. The accesskey modifier
used by the browser should not be something that is used elsewhere in
the system. The collision here is completely Safari's fault. If Cocoa
uses Ctrl+letter already, then browsers should use Ctrl+Opt+letter, or
Ctrl+Shift+letter, or whatever. The web page should be able to use any
letter for an accesskey, trusting the browser not to cause confusion.

Tim
--
Tim Larson
InterCall, a subsidiary of West Corporation
Eschew obfuscation!
Toby Elliott
Toby Elliott
2007-06-19 17:26:07 UTC
Hi Toby,
I'm afraid neither of your responses to this thread got through.
Bizarre. I have no ideas what's up with trying to reply to this
message. It does strange things in my mailer, too.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to claim the accesskeys as a new feature,
but they were added in June of 2005. Did you upgrade Safari recently?
My version 2.0.4 does support the feature, but it's possible older
versions did not.

At this point, it's been around long enough that I don't think we can
pull it out short of a site revamp, but we'll keep the apple
keybindings in mind if we decide to make further use of it .

Regards,
Toby Elliott
del.icio.us
John Remmers
2007-06-19 17:29:34 UTC
Post by Larson, Timothy E.
Post by Andrew Wooster
[...]
Right. But the latest Camino and Firefox for OS X also set the
accesskey modifier to Ctrl and therefore have the same conflict as
Safari. At least for Camino and Firefox, one can modify this in user
preferences -- in "about:config", change the ui.key.contentAccess
value from 2 to 6 to make Ctrl+Opt the accesskey modifier. The only
solution for Safari that I've been able to find involves modifying
the WebKit source and rebuilding Safari (see http://
www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200703171853311).

-John
Larson, Timothy E.
2007-06-19 18:53:32 UTC
[...]
Personally, I was not aware of the emacs keybindings in Cocoa (I'd
hazard a guess that most people are not) so perhaps the conflict is very
limited in its scope of impact.

Tim
Eschew obfuscation!
Toby Elliott