UI question - simplifying the tag cloud rendering
j***@jmason.org
2007-01-04 11:00:59 UTC
Hi all --

I have a pretty extensive bookmark collection at http://del.icio.us/jm ,
which I use heavily and rely on. I also have a Nintendo Wii. The Wii has
a pretty good web browser, based on Opera. Unfortunately it's not the
fastest at text layout and rendering, and my zillions of tags mean that
any of my bookmark pages takes several *minutes* to render.

Since I was hoping to bookmark http://del.icio.us/jm/wii and use it as a
useful start page on the Wii, this is a bummer for me. ;)

Is there a way I can set how my tag cloud appears (to non-logged-in
users specifically)? I'd say "view as list" would probably help.

--j.
Joshua Schachter
2007-01-04 17:16:58 UTC
Not really. Does Wii/Opera save cookies? I thought list view was the
default.
Yahoo! Groups Links
j***@jmason.org
2007-01-04 18:40:49 UTC
hi Joshua!

oops, you're right, it is the default. I'd assumed it was cloud
by default, my mistake.

It still takes several minutes to render, but once it does, I can hit "use
minimum 5", it's saved in the cookie, and when I come back later (via the
bookmark), it works. Sorted.

Anyway, worth noting -- the Wii text renderer is really slow on
del.icio.us for some reason. :( It might be worth defaulting Wii
visitors to "use 5 minimum" anyway, if you do that kind of
user-agent-matching thing.

--j.
Yahoo! Groups Links
Joshua Schachter
2007-01-04 19:09:35 UTC
What's the wii do with RSS feeds?

Yahoo! Groups Links
j***@jmason.org
2007-01-04 20:13:51 UTC
hmm -- haven't checked. I'll have a look later...

--j.
Yahoo! Groups Links
j***@jmason.org
2007-01-05 00:54:48 UTC
OK, I checked -- it displays them as a simple web page, titled "RSS Feed",
with the feed icon, then feed title on the next line, followed by a list
of the items (each one represented as a href'd title). Rudimentary, but
it does work.

Unfortunately there's no way to _subscribe_ to it in any way -- it's
essentially just a page-style UI.

--j.
Yahoo! Groups Links
lihlii
2007-07-13 11:17:57 UTC
Use http://del.icio.us/user?setminposts=500 to access the delicious
page.
After entering the page, you can click on "use minimum: 1, 2, 5" in
tag options column to set preferred tag display decimation count.

The "setminposts=" parameter is also remembered by delicious so the
next time you enter http://delicious.com/user without "setminposts"
parameter, it's still in effect.

When your setminposts parameter is very big, the "tags" and "related
tags" will not display at all. This saves RAM and time to load the
page.

I also find that Firefox 1.5 can load the page faster than Firefox
2.0, or MSIE based browsers like Maxthon. This was one reason I
remain with Firefox 1.5.

Maxthon or MSIE gets slower and slower after browsing many pages with
loads of scripts, like microsoft spaces.live.com, google groups,
delicious.com and restarting the browser can solve the problem.
Seems caused by memory leak in the script handling? MSIE even get
stuck at the very ugly spaces.live.com blog pages.

Suggestion to delicious.com:

Should display limited number of tag clouds and related tags, say, 20
or so, and add a link to retrieve the whole set.