Introducing del.ishli.st
malesca
2008-02-27 15:05:05 UTC
I built a wishlist site on top of del.icio.us.

Start page: http://del.ishli.st
My list: http://del.ishli.st/malesca
Filtering by tag: http://del.ishli.st/malesca/book+nonfiction

Announcement blog post: http://henrik.nyh.se/2008/02/delishlist

There is no sign-up - as long as you have items tagged "wishlist", it
should work.

The site has some nice features like rating, thumbnails etc. See the
start page for details.

Feedback welcome (to the list, as comments on the blog post, by
private e-mail or whatever else you like).
Nicola D'Agostino
2008-02-28 11:38:47 UTC
Post by malesca
I built a wishlist site on top of del.icio.us.
Great idea! :)
Post by malesca
Start page: http://del.ishli.st
My list: http://del.ishli.st/malesca
Filtering by tag: http://del.ishli.st/malesca/book+nonfiction
Announcement blog post: http://henrik.nyh.se/2008/02/delishlist
There is no sign-up - as long as you have items tagged "wishlist", it
should work.
I do. And it works ok. In the past used to incorporate a list based
on the tag on my blog but had problems with opening links out of the
iframe.

A suggestion: add a feed or some way to share/republish/send the list
or its items.

Nicola D'Agostino
http://www.nicoladagostino.net

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Henrik Nyh
2008-02-28 16:33:50 UTC
Post by Nicola D'Agostino
Post by malesca
I built a wishlist site on top of del.icio.us.
Great idea! :)
Thanks!
Post by Nicola D'Agostino
A suggestion: add a feed or some way to share/republish/send the list
or its items.
Adding RSS feeds is definitely on my to-do list.

Each item in the list has an anchor link (hover the list title and
click the anchor), but I suppose that's not what you were requesting?
I'm considering some sort of blog widget/Facebook app. I don't think
I'll be implementing something like "mail this list to a friend",
though, since it's so easy to do manually and a mailing system is a
bit of a bother to set up.
Nicola D'Agostino
2008-02-28 19:46:27 UTC
Post by Henrik Nyh
Post by Nicola D'Agostino
A suggestion: add a feed or some way to share/republish/send the
list or its items.
Adding RSS feeds is definitely on my to-do list.
Cool. A tool such as a wishlist needs to be circulated as much as
possible and to be embedded in web sites.
Post by Henrik Nyh
Each item in the list has an anchor link (hover the list title and
click the anchor), but I suppose that's not what you were requesting?
No, but it's a very useful feature. del.icio.us lacks a way to link
to spcific items.
Post by Henrik Nyh
I'm considering some sort of blog widget/Facebook app. I don't think
I'll be implementing something like "mail this list to a friend",
though, since it's so easy to do manually and a mailing system is a
bit of a bother to set up.
A feed, linklist, Json, or anything based on a reusable,
republishable or embeddable format would be ok. For converting to email
(or other formats) there's always the useful Xfruits.com

chrisjroos
2008-03-06 16:39:07 UTC
Post by Nicola D'Agostino
No, but it's a very useful feature. del.icio.us lacks a way to link
to spcific items.
Apologies for hijacking your thread Henrik (great idea/application btw
- I've bookmarked it[1]!). Nicola, if you use the del.icio.us
extension to firefox then I've created an extension of that that will
create permalinks for all of your bookmarks[2]. Sorry if I've
misunderstood what you meant by 'del.icio.us lacks a way to link to
specific items', but I think what I've linked to applies.

Chris

[1] http://del.icio.us/chrisjroos/url/85d77f6b63956fb8600c0e094d519fb8
[2]
http://blog.seagul.co.uk/articles/2007/12/18/extracting-my-del-icio-us-permalinks-functionality-into-its-own-firefox-extension
Nicola D'Agostino
2008-03-07 12:14:38 UTC
Hi there,
Post by chrisjroos
Nicola, if you use the del.icio.us
extension to firefox then I've created an extension of that that will
create permalinks for all of your bookmarks[2]. Sorry if I've
misunderstood what you meant by 'del.icio.us lacks a way to link to
specific items', but I think what I've linked to applies.
Ye, you understood what I meant and, thanks, I will check both of
your extensions. :)Unfortunately they provide a Firefox-centric
solution and although I use it I also use other browsers and think it
doesn'tsolve the wider issue at hand (i.e. a need for multiplatform and
shared links to specific items).

Nicola D'Agostino
http://www.nicoladagostino.net

Be a better friend, newshound, and
Nick Nguyen
2008-02-29 22:57:40 UTC
Hi Henrik,

Great work with del.ishili.st. We really love seeing people build things with our API’s, since that’s why we created them in the first place. I did have a few requests for you and hope you will consider them.

Our basic concern is that people may mistakenly believe that your product is actually an official del.icio.us release. This is mainly because of your adaptation of our logo and the lack of a disclaimer saying that del.ishili.st is not an official Yahoo! product. Would you consider updating your logo to remove the del.icio.us design and putting a statement on your site stating that it’s an independent creation? If you can do these things, we have no issues regarding your domain or the name of your site.

I look forward to hearing from you and invite you to share with me any concerns you may have. I emphasize that we value you as a user and developer and want you to remain part of our community. At the same time, we hope you can appreciate where we are coming from and our concerns. In order to avoid any misunderstanding, I must say that nothing herein is intended to waive any of Yahoo!"s legal rights, which are expressly reserved. I hope to hear from you soon.

Nick Nguyen

Senior Product Manager, del.icio.us

Henrik Nyh
2008-03-01 00:07:59 UTC
Post by Nick Nguyen
Hi Henrik,
Great work with del.ishili.st. We really love seeing people build things with our API's, since that's why we created them in the first place. I did have a few requests for you and hope you will consider them.
Thanks! Addressing this in a private mail.