Tagging and bunddles
stephenbungert
2008-01-28 15:36:10 UTC
Not many people seem to bundle tags. I try and keep every tag in a
bundle. I read somewhere that you shouldn't really use bundles because
it's like a folder, but certain things I want together (like
everything to do with web-development in a bundle called development).
I now have quite a few tags, and some have subtags. Like my javascript
tag now spilled into 3: javascript, javascript_unobtrusive, and
javascript_events. I preficxed unobtrusive and events with javascript_
so that they would show up next to the javascript tag, but my
development bundle is getting pretty big now. I'm thinking of
splitting it up.

I thought about starting a bundle called javascript, which would
contain the javascript tag + javascript_unobtrusive and
javascript_events (renamed to just unobtrusive and events). But this
would then give me problems. What if I tagged a party with events? It
would show up in the events tag under javascript.

In thunderbird you can have virtual folders, it would be useful to
have a virtual tag (called events) that I could put in the javascript
bundle. It would just show bookmarks with the javascript tag and the
events tag, but would be easier to see becuase it wouldn't have the
javascript_ prefix. I know this is like searching but it's annoying to
have to search for javascript + events when I could just click a link.

How do you try and organise your bookmarks? Do you use bundles? Or do
you just tag like crazy and then hope you remember what tags you used,
or hope that delicious search will find them for you?
Britta Gustafson
2008-01-29 09:57:40 UTC
We're working on improving the bundling interface and the help text
about bundles, which may cause people to use bundles more often. I don't
know of any convincing reason to dislike bundles -- they can be useful
for helping organize part or all of your collection of tags.

Thunderbird's virtual folders sound like a type of "saved search" item:
a "saved tag intersection". That's a possibility for the future of
bundles; we'll think about it.

For my own bookmarks, I use a somewhat limited vocabulary of tags
arranged in a few bundles. I know what each tag means to me, so when I'm
trying to remember a bookmark, I can guess where I put it. If I can't
find it right away though, I use search to help me. This works pretty
well, but of course that's just one way to do it -- other people are
just as happy with a looser free-association tagging style.

Britta
Delicious community manager intern
stephenbungert
2008-01-30 12:11:45 UTC
Maybe you could also get the bundles to open when you click on them
and close any other open bundles. Like clicking on a folder in the ie7
favourites centre. This is really cool.

Although hiding the bundled tags like this would stop visitors seeing
all your tags, it would be a great benifit to the creator of the
bundles who would know where tags are, so maybe just have this as an
option for the users own bundles. And keeping them as they are now for
visitors to your bookmarks.

I also keep an a-z bundle with every tag in it so that I, and anyone
else, can see all my tags ass if I didn't have any bundles.
Larson, Timothy E.
2008-01-29 13:50:46 UTC
Post by stephenbungert
Not many people seem to bundle tags. I try and keep every tag in a
bundle.
[...]
Post by stephenbungert
How do you try and organise your bookmarks? Do you use bundles? Or do
you just tag like crazy and then hope you remember what tags you used,
or hope that delicious search will find them for you?
I use bundles, but only to organize my tags on my Del home page. (It
would be GREAT if they were similarly grouped on the posting page, hint
hint.) I don't use on them for searching; they're not geared for that.
For applications such as yours, I just use a series of general to
specific tags.

For example, I have a JS resource as "resource technology computers web
programming javascript". If I was heavy into JS as you seem to be, I
might add "events" or "ui" or whatever to be even more specific. When
it comes to disambiguating event-driven programming from social events,
that's what tag intersections do - "event" may be ambiguous by itself,
but "programming+event" is different than "holiday+event". You may see
this as inconvenient, but it's only one extra click.

My style of bundling (_kinds_ of tags, rather than _topics_ of tags)
sidesteps some of the problems you're experiencing. I guess I just use
Del in a different way?? It works for me. The one thing I'd say is
that Del could be friendlier to this style of tagging by making bundles
more visible (e.g. the posting page mentioned earlier). Almost every
link I save will have a tag from most of my bundles, so it would be so
much easier if I could scan a bundle at a time.

Feel free to check out del.icio.us/ChristTrekker to see.

Tim
--
Tim Larson AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
InterCall, a division of West Corporation

Eschew obfuscation!
stephenbungert
2008-01-30 12:15:08 UTC
It was interesting to see how you tag! You have an interesting
collection of bookmarks.

I'm still getting used to tags, I still think of tags as sub folders
and bundles as main folders. Maybe I will start using the search more,
I use the site more than the firefox extension anyway but I do find
the search (even when scoped to just my bookmarks) takes ages.
betaone4379
2008-02-25 13:38:08 UTC
Post by stephenbungert
It was interesting to see how you tag! You have an interesting
collection of bookmarks.
I'm still getting used to tags, I still think of tags as sub folders
and bundles as main folders. Maybe I will start using the search more,
I use the site more than the firefox extension anyway but I do find
the search (even when scoped to just my bookmarks) takes ages.
Don't take this personally - I mean in general: I think it is a very
bad idea to think of tags as sub-folders and bundles as main folders.
The idea of folders/sub-folders should not be used at all.

Tags in my opinion is the best way to bookmark sites in a
non-hierarchical way. The whole point is to get rid of the
folder/sub-folder requirement.

Not that I am saying 'bundles' are a useless feature, but I have over
1035 tags so far (I am recent user) but no single bundle however I
have had no trouble searching for my bookmark I wanted. It is all
about how you tag your bookmark.

Think of tags as a "mind path" to the bookmark. By supplying tags you
are saving in the server how you are going to approach that site at
some future time. When you think of a bookmark you wanted to go to,
what words come to your mind? Those are your tags.

All the Best.
nothingnormal.xanga
2008-03-13 11:01:47 UTC
I have a question,
for example i have a bundle called people where i tag certain people,
and i want a search query to display just the members of my 'people'
bundle and not necessarily my 'people' tag.
Is this possible?