how can I get the users of delicious?
Roberto Pereira
2007-11-15 18:06:47 UTC

I'm studying about social networks, and to do a work about relationships I
would need to get a list of all users that have delicious account.
Is there any way to do this?

thanks!

Robert

Julia Canbury
nothingnormal.xanga
gerald
2007-12-02 22:57:09 UTC
Post by Julia Canbury
Hi Roberto, When you find out how to let me know. Julia
Hi,
Post by Julia Canbury
Post by Roberto Pereira
would need to get a list of all users that have delicious account.
Is there any way to do this?
thanks!
Robert
Hello The only thing I can find is the members of this group for
delicious Ive been trying to figure out similiar ways to post to
all delicious users so I can create a network with similiar interests
Jerry in NY
Kevin Curry
2007-12-03 21:16:58 UTC
Actually, I hope there is not an easy for you to get the list of all
users, particularly since some of them don't what you to know about
their relationships (i.e., private tags, private networks).

I can tell you how to get plenty of public social relationship data from
del.icio.us, after which I will add more words of caution.

Collect network relationships by starting with a given user id and
calling the following URL recursively, replacing [USER] each time:

http://del.icio.us/feeds/json/network/[USER
<http://del.icio.us/feeds/json/network/%5bUSER> ]

i.e., Assume a function GetNetwork that takes a user id and perhaps some
other params, then for every person returned by GetNetwork call
GetNetwork again. You can view some similar but more complex javascript
source code here: http://www.bborntest.com/g.licious/g.licious.htm
Internet Explorer and will ask you if you want to install the
Bridgeworks ActiveX Control to visualize the graphs. You don't have to
do this just to look at the html source in any browser.

CAUTION: Don't go trying to recurse on everyone. Limit your depth to a
couple of levels at a time. Not only will it take time to build a big
network, but you'll also be hitting against the service too much. Be
sensitive about the data you collect. Just because our information is
public doesn't mean we want the whole world to know. You may discover
things about people and their networks that they don't know themselves.
That can be creepy. On the other hand, you might learn some things
about our networks that will benefit us all.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Kevin M. Curry

Bridgeborn

757.437.5000

________________________________

nick.nguyen
2007-12-08 02:31:52 UTC
Actually, sorry to be a spoil sport, but capturing data in this manner
is against our terms of service. Any significant spidering will be
blocked by our police bot, so there's a limit on how much you can
actually use our API, particularly when getting data from our unauth
feeds on users other than yourself. This is for a variety of
reasons, so that competitors can't simply take all of our data and
create a clone of it, and also to prevent any use of the data which
might cause our users to be uncomfortable.

Nick
Senior Product Manager, del.icio.us