API denies access to Yahoo-based accounts
Jerry Krinock
2009-11-08 19:37:06 UTC
I'm not sure how long this feature has been available, but I note that
now, when joining Delicious, the user can first sign into their Yahoo!
account and then create a Delicious account "within" their Yahoo!
account, signing in with their Yahoo! ID. This morning I created such
an account.

However, such an account does not seem to be accessible using the
Delicious API, and this breaks my application.

For example, if I sign in to a regular (pre-Yahoo!) Delicious account,
everything works:

Jerrys-Mac-Mini:~ jk$ curl -ujerrykrinock:PASSWORD https://api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/update
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<update time="2009-10-10T13:45:29Z" inboxnew="0"/>
<!-- fe09.feeds.del.ac4.yahoo.net uncompressed/chunked Sun Nov 8
11:22:13 PST 2009 -->

But if I try to sign in using the account name that I chose after
signing into Yahoo! this morning, access is denied:

Jerrys-Mac-Mini:~ jk$ curl -ujerryYahoo:PASSWORD https://api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/update
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<result code="access denied" />
<!-- fe05.api.del.ac4.yahoo.net uncompressed/chunked Sun Nov 8
11:22:32 PST 2009 -->

The same thing happens if I use my Yahoo! ID instead:

Jerrys-Mac-Mini:~ jk$ curl -ujerrykrinock:PASSWORD https://api.del.icio.us/v1/posts/update
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<result code="access denied" />
<!-- fe01.api.del.ac4.yahoo.net uncompressed/chunked Sun Nov 8
11:32:31 PST 2009 -->

I hope there is a solution for this!

Sincerely,

Jerry Krinock
Chris Draycott

Jerry Krinock
Jerry

Jerry Krinock
Jerry
2009-11-11 16:56:05 UTC
Well, after poking around to other developers' forums I've found that this is a known issue/disaster. The most interesting discussion seems to be here:

http://developer.yahoo.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3065&st=0&gopid=9358