for: exploits
sheila miguez
2007-06-05 14:45:55 UTC
The potential for spamming has been brought up when discussing a
feature for sending links to non-users, which has me idly wondering if
there has already been problems with people creating accounts to
exploit for: tags for users that already exist. It seems to me that it
could be used for spam or phishing expeditions though I guess it would
be less likely to catch people if they noticed it was a stranger
sending a link (though sending links from someone who created a
mispelled username might get overlooked).
sheila
Mike Nowak
2007-06-05 16:10:53 UTC
Post by sheila miguez
The potential for spamming has been brought up when discussing a
feature for sending links to non-users, which has me idly wondering if
there has already been problems with people creating accounts to
exploit for: tags for users that already exist. It seems to me that it
could be used for spam or phishing expeditions though I guess it would
be less likely to catch people if they noticed it was a stranger
sending a link (though sending links from someone who created a
mispelled username might get overlooked).
This is already the case and, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be
a means to remove links in your "links for you" view... so they linger
there.
-mike
Joshua Schachter
2007-06-06 00:25:28 UTC
Yeah, we are reconsidering how this feature is implemented.

With any social software there is an opportunity for and danger of spam
issues...

Joshua
sheila miguez
Joshua Schachter
2007-06-06 19:58:20 UTC
It's totally not going anywhere. Just thinking about how it should work.

Maybe the bookmark that gets for'd goes in your actual bookmarks, and
belongs to you, but has a from: field?
Maybe there should be a way to let you talk to people about things?
So on and so forth. This is something I plan to focus on once we get the
new backend out the door.

Joshua
Nicola D'Agostino
2007-06-06 15:20:19 UTC
Hi there,
Post by sheila miguez
The potential for spamming has been brought up when discussing a
feature for sending links to non-users, which has me idly wondering if
there has already been problems with people creating accounts to
exploit for: tags for users that already exist.
Yes: as far as I know there have already been instances of people
spamming other del.icio.us users joining their network and using the
for: tags.
--
Nicola D'Agostino
<!-- www.nicoladagostino.net -->
Joshua Schachter
2007-06-06 16:09:41 UTC
Please send any examples of this behavior to me.

Joshua