Tags with multiple words?
bruins1961
2008-02-22 14:21:23 UTC
I found a thread on this back in Sep/Oct 2007 but nothing newer. Is
there going to be a way to incorporate multiword tags using a space
delimiter? For example, I want some of my tags to be "incident
response", "computer forensics", "data recovery". I guess I just am
too stubborn to switch to say incident_response, incident-response, or
incidentresponse. I'm so used to searching, thru database or the
Internet, using the normal boolean operators and styles... "incident
response" AND ""data recovery" as opposed to guessing how someone
might have formatted their tag terms - like above (incident_response,
etc.) Thanx!!

.jim.
Britta Gustafson
2008-02-26 00:05:36 UTC
Hi Jim,

Del.icio.us has had space-separated tags since the beginning, but we're
still considering also adding support for comma-separated tags (or
something like that) someday.

For those who are curious, here's that old thread with discussion of
these and related issues:

Here are the relevant responses in that thread from Joshua and Nick:

Britta
Del.icio.us community manager intern
.jim.
betaone4379
2008-02-26 02:35:36 UTC
Post by bruins1961
I found a thread on this back in Sep/Oct 2007 but nothing newer. Is
there going to be a way to incorporate multiword tags using a space
delimiter? For example, I want some of my tags to be "incident
response", "computer forensics", "data recovery". I guess I just am
too stubborn to switch to say incident_response, incident-response, or
incidentresponse. I'm so used to searching, thru database or the
Internet, using the normal boolean operators and styles... "incident
response" AND ""data recovery" as opposed to guessing how someone
might have formatted their tag terms - like above (incident_response,
etc.) Thanx!!
.jim.
You are encouraged to tag them as incidentresponse

With a space it is going to be complicated when i actually wanted two
tags: incident and response. Searching for "incident response" is
going to be troublesome as well because you will have to probably wrap
it using quotation marks to say you are actually looking for "incident
response" not just "incident" OR "response. Currently you can also
search "incident+response" which will filter your bookmarks to all
having "incident" AND "response".
Kevin Curry
2008-02-26 05:29:11 UTC
I've used them all and spaces are best. It's much more versatile and
still maintains the ability to get what you want specifically. Getting
all bookmarks tagged "incident response" is semantically the same as
incident+response. In either case, there's no chance "incident reports"
will never appear in the results. Key phrases (groups of words
separated by some other delimiter) create all sorts of problems (as
others have alluded, stated) without much benefit. In fact you're not
optimizing your vocabulary when you are using key phrases because you'll
end up needing a lot more terms. I can pull up any subset with
combinations of only the 3 terms: incident, response, reports. On the
other hand, other methods lead to...someone help me with the math...it's
exponential the terms you need to cover all the combinations of
incident, response, reports, incident response, incident reports,
incident response , etc...

I've mostly stopped using compound words except in a few cases where I
think other people are using them. In that case I usually tag both
ways: social network SocialNetwork.

That way I can also have social+calendar...or whatever.

del.icio.ous dev team: don't change anything. If you do, let us choose
our delimiter. I choose space.

Kevin M. Curry

Bridgeborn

757.437.5000

________________________________

Larson, Timothy E.
2008-02-26 14:49:34 UTC
I found a thread on this back in Sep/Oct 2007 but nothing newer. Is
there going to be a way to incorporate multiword tags using a space
delimiter? For example, I want some of my tags to be "incident
response", "computer forensics", "data recovery". I guess I just am
too stubborn to switch to say incident_response, incident-response, or
incidentresponse. I'm so used to searching, thru database or the
Internet, using the normal boolean operators and styles... "incident
response" AND ""data recovery" as opposed to guessing how someone
might have formatted their tag terms - like above (incident_response,
etc.) Thanx!!
Go ahead and tag them that way. Then search for
"incident+response+data+recovery". Boolean AND is the only operator Del
understands, so this usage fits perfectly.

I know that it seems tempting to think of an "incident response" as a
separate "thing" from whatever else you might tag, but Del's tagging
model allows for flexibility. This way, if you want to search for
anything relating to an "incident" or a "response" you will find your
incident responses too. If you want only incident responses (as opposed
to other kinds of responses, or other incident-related stuff), that's
what "incident+response" does.

I've never seen the need for a "single multi-word tag" when additional
tags refine my search to get exactly what I want.

Tim
--
Tim Larson AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
InterCall, a division of West Corporation

Eschew obfuscation!
Henrik Nyh
2008-02-26 15:09:34 UTC
Post by Larson, Timothy E.
I know that it seems tempting to think of an "incident response" as a
separate "thing" from whatever else you might tag, but Del's tagging
model allows for flexibility. This way, if you want to search for
anything relating to an "incident" or a "response" you will find your
incident responses too. If you want only incident responses (as opposed
to other kinds of responses, or other incident-related stuff), that's
what "incident+response" does.
That's not quite true.

Say A should be tagged: incident response, xx
And B: blah incident, bleh response

then if you just space-separate everything, searching for
"incident+response" will find another kind of response (B with its
"bleh response") and another kind of incident ("blah incident").

That said, I'd follow the del.icio.us convention and use
"incidentresponse" etc. To me the current system is Good Enough.
Larson, Timothy E.
2008-02-28 15:29:37 UTC
Post by Henrik Nyh
That's not quite true.
Say A should be tagged: incident response, xx And B: blah incident,
bleh response
then if you just space-separate everything, searching for
"incident+response" will find another kind of response (B with its
"bleh response") and another kind of incident ("blah incident").
That said, I'd follow the del.icio.us convention and use
"incidentresponse" etc. To me the current system is Good Enough.
Using tag+tag on Del is an intersection, not a union. (Adding tags
refines the search to a smaller result set.) It does what I described
earlier, not what you describe here.

Tim

Eschew obfuscation!
Henrik Nyh
2008-02-28 15:32:56 UTC
Post by Larson, Timothy E.
Post by Henrik Nyh
That's not quite true.
Say A should be tagged: incident response, xx And B: blah incident,
bleh response
then if you just space-separate everything, searching for
"incident+response" will find another kind of response (B with its
"bleh response") and another kind of incident ("blah incident").
Using tag+tag on Del is an intersection, not a union. (Adding tags
refines the search to a smaller result set.) It does what I described
earlier, not what you describe here.
It is indeed an intersection. What I was trying to say is that if A
has "incident response xx" and B has "blah incident bleh response",
not just A but also B has the intersection of the tags
incident+response.
Larson, Timothy E.
2008-02-28 19:07:20 UTC
Post by Henrik Nyh
Using tag+tag on Del is an intersection, not a union. (Adding tags
refines the search to a smaller result set.) It does what I described
earlier, not what you describe here.
It is indeed an intersection. What I was trying to say is that if A
has "incident response xx" and B has "blah incident bleh response",
not just A but also B has the intersection of the tags
incident+response.
This problem remains even if you allow multi-word tags. For example,
searching for "'incident response'" will still find things tagged
"'incident response' bleh". The only way to get what you want is to tag
them "incident response" and ONLY "incident response" (or a variant like
"incident_response" if you choose) - no other tags allowed. This issue
really doesn't seem to be about single-word vs multi-word tags at all.

Tim

Eschew obfuscation!
Henrik Nyh
2008-02-28 19:27:28 UTC
Post by Larson, Timothy E.
Post by Henrik Nyh
It is indeed an intersection. What I was trying to say is that if A
has "incident response xx" and B has "blah incident bleh response",
not just A but also B has the intersection of the tags
incident+response.
This problem remains even if you allow multi-word tags. For example,
searching for "'incident response'" will still find things tagged
"'incident response' bleh". The only way to get what you want is to tag
them "incident response" and ONLY "incident response" (or a variant like
"incident_response" if you choose) - no other tags allowed. This issue
really doesn't seem to be about single-word vs multi-word tags at all.
It seems like we're now talking about different things. I opposed the
claim that tagging things "incident response" as two tags would give
you the same expressiveness as if Delicious added support for
multi-word tags. It doesn't, for reasons already given.

The mail I'm replying to now seems to make an orthogonal claim: that
multi-word tags doesn't change the fact that you can't search for
things with only one specific tag and no others. This is true, but
completely unrelated to my point.

Michael Feher
2008-02-26 20:08:13 UTC
My two cents' worth on this: I have resigned myself to using tags like:

music.genres.jazz.John-Coltrane

It does two things for me. One, it gives me a desired hierarchy which I am comfortable with and two, it at least allows me to get around the space-delimiting problem. In an ideal world maybe there would be a way to quote elements of a tag such that you would not need to put a dash or something between it, but it's really not something I lose sleep over. (Perhaps they can start "qualifying" sub-parts of a tag? For example, the first three elements in my example are not "separated" but the last one is...maybe each tag has a subpart with a "properName" attribute? Who knows...)

I'm not saying it's great, but it works for me. Your mileage may vary. I use delicious primarily as a tool for myself, not for others, and I never search other delicious tags of other people. (I spend way too much time in front of a computer as it is; the last thing I need is yet another reason to keep doing so).

Mike

[...]

<!--

#ygrp-mkp{
#ygrp-mkp hr{
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
#ygrp-mkp #hd{
#ygrp-mkp #ads{
margin-bottom:10px;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad{
padding:0 0;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad a{
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
font-family:Arial;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{
font-family:Georgia;
}
#ygrp-text p{
margin:0 0 1em 0;}
#ygrp-tpmsgs{
font-family:Arial;
clear:both;}
#ygrp-vitnav{
#ygrp-vitnav a{
padding:0 1px;}
#ygrp-actbar{
#ygrp-actbar .left{
float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
.bld{font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-grft{
#ygrp-ft{
padding:5px 0;
}
#ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
padding-bottom:10px;}

#ygrp-vital{
#ygrp-vital #vithd{
#ygrp-vital ul{
padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
#ygrp-vital ul li{
}
#ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
#ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-vital a{
text-decoration:none;}

#ygrp-vital a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}

#ygrp-sponsor #hd{
color:#999;font-size:77%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #nc{
#ygrp-sponsor .ad{
padding:8px 0;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
text-decoration:none;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
margin:0;}
o{font-size:0;}
.MsoNormal{
margin:0 0 0 0;}
#ygrp-text tt{
font-size:120%;}
blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
.replbq{margin:4;}
-->

Britta Gustafson
2008-02-26 21:38:10 UTC
I should have known that this issue would bring up the eternal Tag
Debate. :)

The best tag system is the one that works for you personally. There's no
wrong way to tag; metadata is naturally messy.

I have an idiosyncratic tagging method that works well because I've used
it for years and I'm very familiar with it. I think that's true for many
Delicious users: we think our own tag systems are great because we're
familiar with them and skilled at using them. So I recommend picking a
system that feels good and sticking with it, whatever it is!

Post by Michael Feher
I'm not saying it's great, but it works for me. Your mileage may vary. I use delicious
primarily as a tool for myself, not for others, and I never search other delicious tags of
other people. (I spend way too much time in front of a computer as it is; the last thing I
need is yet another reason to keep doing so).
Mike
[...]
font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-
transform:uppercase;}
Post by Michael Feher
#ygrp-vital ul{
padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
#ygrp-vital ul li{
}
#ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;padding-
right:.5em;}
Kevin Curry
2008-02-26 21:43:16 UTC
But what about categories?! :-) (KIDDING!)

Kevin M. Curry

Bridgeborn

________________________________

Post by Michael Feher
Post by Larson, Timothy E.
to other kinds of responses, or other incident-related stuff), that's
what "incident+response" does.
That's not quite true.
Say A should be tagged: incident response, xx
And B: blah incident, bleh response
then if you just space-separate everything, searching for
"incident+response" will find another kind of response (B with its
"bleh response") and another kind of incident ("blah incident").
That said, I'd follow the del.icio.us convention and use
"incidentresponse" etc. To me the current system is Good Enough.
<!--
#ygrp-mkp{
#ygrp-mkp hr{
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
#ygrp-mkp #hd{
color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-height:122%;margin:10p
x 0px;}
Post by Michael Feher
[...]
clear:both;margin:25px
Post by Michael Feher
#ygrp-actbar .left{
float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
.bld{font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-grft{
#ygrp-ft{
padding:5px 0;
}
#ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
padding-bottom:10px;}
#ygrp-vital{
#ygrp-vital #vithd{
font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-
transform:uppercase;}
Post by Michael Feher
#ygrp-vital ul{
padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
#ygrp-vital ul li{
}
Post by Michael Feher
#ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
font-weight:bold;}
#ygrp-vital a{
text-decoration:none;}
#ygrp-vital a:hover{
text-decoration:underline;}
#ygrp-sponsor #hd{
color:#999;font-size:77%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
#ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
#ygrp-sponsor #nc{
#ygrp-sponsor .ad{
padding:8px 0;}
#ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-hei
ght:122%;}
Post by Michael Feher
#ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
text-decoration:none;}